Have you ever had a midnight craving for nutella or in the morning or when you absolutely need a companion for your bagels?
Making your own Nutella is simple, and you can create a batch in about 30 minutes and store it in your pantry for a month. It’s silky smooth, deliciously chocolatey, and secretly healthier since it’s made with pure cacao and a lot of hazelnuts.
Nutella is believed to have been developed in the 1920s by an Italian pastry chef named Pietro Ferrero. When he saw industrial employees heading to work with tomato and cheese sandwiches, he had the idea. He realized that a sweet, chocolatey hazelnut spread would be a cheap and popular sandwich spread. And he was correct!
The spread was initially called “Supercrema,” but in the 1960s it was renamed “Nutella.” Soon after, it became hugely famous in Italy, and eventually, all over the world!
Say hello to homemade nutella, which beats the store-bought version every time. You can authentically regulate the quantity of sugar and other substances at home. This is not something you can do if you buy it ready to cook.
Ingredients required are:
- Hazelnuts – 1 cup (you can use almonds/peanuts as a substitute)
- Oil/butter- 1 tbsp
- Powder sugar- 1/3-1/2 cup
- Cocoa powder- ¼ cup
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
- Salt -1/8 tsp
- ¼ cup chopped chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. place a baking sheet or parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Upon that spread the hazelnuts and roast for 12-15 mins. Watch them after 10 mins if they have turned brown you can remove it from the oven.
- You can also roast the hazelnuts on the pan for 7-8 mins until they turn brown and crack.
- Next step place them onto a clean kitchen towel. Let it cool until it’s safe to touch.
- Once they are cooled, gently rub the nuts with a towel until the skin is blistered.
- Process the nuts until it turns into a creamy butter. It might take 4-5 mins. Stop the processor at regular intervals to scrape the sides.
- Add oil/ butter and vanilla essence and blend for a minute.
- Later add all the other ingredients and process until it forms a smooth consistency
- Scrape the spread and store it in a clean jar.
- Your homemade healthy Nutella is ready to serve.
If you are adding chocolate for the best texture make sure it is melt halfway not completely. Salt is added to enhance the chocolate flavour . If you have stored it in a refrigerator, if it has turned hard you can microwave for 15-20 seconds to bring the extra creamy texture.
PS: Homemade food is magic, it brings out a savour and is also a step to be the healthier you.
Happy cooking !