There is always a curious story behind every famous dish. The Veg Galouti Kebab was particularly prepared the kebab for the Nawab of Lucknow, Wajid Ali Shah. The Nawab had lost his dentures, but not his appetite for meat! At his command, the khansamas(cooks) came up with an innovative way of preparing meat which required no chewing, still rich in spices and flavors. A trip to the city of Lucknow is now synonymous with Galouti Kebab. Stepping foot in Lucknow and leaving without tasting this delicacy is a piece of violation!
And consumers all have a Nawab with bad teeth to acknowledge this splendid dish. Have the kebabs got you craving? Prepare this royal delicacy at your home in a vegetarian style.
- 1 cup boiled kidney beans (rajma)
- ¼ cup brown onion paste(Cut thin slices of onions and deep fry them in hot oil until they turn brown, but make sure they don’t turn black. Drain and let them cool. Blend them in a mixer with a negligible amount of water until they turn smooth. This gives an excellent taste to your kebabs.)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tbsp roasted gram flour
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp kitchen king masala
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Wash and soak the kidney beans overnight. Then, drain and rinse the beans. Add soaked beans and water into a pressure cooker. The water should top the beans. Lock the lid. Turn on the flame and cook for 15 mins. Turn off the flame and wait till the pressure has declined, open and drain the excess water.
- Blend the beans and add ¼ cup of water and make it a thick paste.
- Transfer the paste into a deep bowl, include all the other ingredients and mix it using your hands.
- Divide the mixture into 20 segments.
- Grease a nonstick pan with ½ tbsp of ghee and allow it to heat.
- Grease your hands with oil/ghee, pick up a portion of mixture on your palm and pat it slightly using your thumb to make a round shaped patty and place it immediately on the hot greased pan.
- Repeat the same process to prepare more kebabs.
- Roast all the kebabs on the medium flame, till they turn golden brown from both sides.
Your delicious Veg Galouti Kebabs are ready!! Enjoy it with mint chutney.
- You can freeze the kebabs for 30 mins before roasting.
- Make sure you soak the kidney beans before you start the process. You can likewise include black chana for a better taste.
- A topping you can prepare for a better presentation or plating: Mix curd, mayonnaise, mint chutney and salt to taste.
The interplay of flavors and textures in the kebab is extremely great, and this dish will certainly steal the show.